Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Health Car Reform

To whom it may concern,

I believe that the most pressing issue that needs to be addressed in this debate is the cost of inactivity. It is briefly mentioned, but I think that if people knew what it meant not to act, they would agree more with the reforms or at least seek to better understand and provide input rather than just yell and scream. I also think that more needs to be done and/or explained for those with existing health insurance. The only benefit that I seemed to hear is that by insuring all Americans, there would be a greater discount over time due to competition, and that the hidden cost of $1,000 to cover the uninsured would eventually be eliminated. Can we not guarantee that once this bill is passed that it will definitively be eliminated? Or can we require insurance companies to remove this hidden cost immediately? I have quality health care coverage, and I want to know more about what this bill means for me. Additionally, and I know the President does not like to look backwards, but can we at least talk a little about how everything that the detractors are saying now about federal healthcare reform, is what they were previously promoting and supporting under the Bush administration’s expansion of Medicare and Medicaid? This health care reform expanded costly federal subsidies, prevented access to cheaper drugs, and further bankrupted this country to the point where we are now. I would like a more historical perspective on the issue in general. One last thing: at these town hall meetings, I suggest that the Senators and Representatives first ask who among them uses or benefits from some sort of government health care program. When all the hecklers raise their hands, it should be very telling. Thank you for your time,

GUNNAR HAND, AICP

No comments:

Post a Comment