Thursday, February 19, 2009

Black History Month

To whom it may concern,

I am deeply concerned about race relations in this country. My generation, I believe, has been raised with a heightened attention to tolerance. In fact, I think that we are at times overly cautious about being politically correct. This "cowardice" prevents us from engaging in discussions about race, religion, and politics even with our close-knit circles. Why is it so taboo to talk about what my friends call "important stff". I was emboldened by Attorney General Eric Holder's comments today, and I believe that there is much more than a voluntary segregation of our communities, but a structural imbalance of resources and policy. As a city planner, I can see this neglect, environmental injustice, and economic malaise in many of the minority communities that I serve. I cannot think of anyone better to actively engage and empower these communities than you. During Black History Month, how do you intend to promote race relations in America? And more importantly, how do you intend to break the cycle of what I hope is unintentional inequality?

GUNNAR HAND, AICP

No comments:

Post a Comment